One of the first things that new home owners look at when considering what changes they want to make to their new home is the fuse board or consumer unit. If you are considering making home improvements which can be as simple as installing an electric oven or hob or installing a new electric or power shower, it is a good idea to take a close look at your fuse board. If it looks like the one below then your first priority should be to update the fuse board for one of the new consumer units that allows for protection of individual sections of your house and single circuits for appliances that use a lot of energy like electric ovens or power showers.

Meter Before
This is an example of what we are asked to replace.
Meter Before
If you fuse board looks like this, it needs replacing.

Modern consumer units like the one shown below allow for multiple circuits to be installed in your house. The advantages of this are to split your house into different zones so that if a faulty appliance causes one circuit to trip, the rest of the house will remain connected. Having the lighting on direct circuits to the ring main can mean the difference between wandering around in the dark or having some working lights should you experience electrical problems of any sort.

Meter After
This is a more modern replacement consumer unit with modern safety cut-outs, but even this type is out-of-date and may need replacing.

New regulations were introduced on the 1st January 2016, requiring that consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies in domestic premises to have a non-combustible enclosure.

This is an example of the latest type of consumer unit. The casing is made of a non-combustable material reducing the risk of the consumer unit itself catching fire.
The reason previous units caught fire was invariably due to poor installation rather than there being any design fault in the unit itself so always have your consumer unit installed by a UK qualified electrician.

Contact us for more details about updating your fuse board or consumer unit, especially if yours looks like the first picture on this page.